Cavities are often the result of a process over time that destroys our tooth enamel. The reason cavities are so prevalent is because our tooth enamel is oftentimes not strong enough to combat the variety of dangers constantly bombarding our teeth and gums. Harmful bacteria called plaque forms on our teeth, and with the help of products such as sugar, the bacteria forms acids which can eat through the enamel. Over time, the enamel can break down, leading to a hole in your tooth, called a cavity.
Here are some helpful tips to prevent cavities:
– Brush your teeth twice daily with ADA-approved toothpaste and a comfortable properly-sized toothbrush with soft bristles.
– Floss every day with ADA-approved dental floss or an approved dental flossing tool.
– Eat nutritious foods and try to avoid snacking throughout the day.
– Studies have shown that chewing sugarless gum for 20 minutes after a meal can facilitate the production of saliva, which can fight cavities.
– Visit your dentists at Witty Family and Cosmetic Dentistry during your scheduled checkups for oral examinations and professional cleanings.
– Avoid sugary snacks and drinks. Sugar can be converted into harmful acids in your mouth that can eat away at tooth enamel.
– Use additional cleaning methods, such as mouthwash, to wash away food particles and harmful bacteria.
– Improve your oral hygiene by practicing more effective ways to brush and floss.
If you would like to schedule an oral exam or professional cleaning with Dr. Witty and Dr. Watkins, please call our office at 859-881-4633. You can also make an appointment by visiting our office in Nicholasville, Kentucky. Your smile deserves the best of care, and we can gladly provide it. Come see us soon!