Aging and dental health complement each other in a variety of ways. As the years tick by, our bodies become older and our bones weaker. However, there are plenty of exercises and treatments to keep your body in great shape. Although you may have been able to keep your teeth clean with some bad habits and lackadaisical treatment approaches, it becomes much more crucial to improve your oral health care as your teeth age and weaken. Here are some of the basics of aging and dental health:
– For individuals with dentures, be sure to care for your dentures as well as you would for natural teeth. In addition, dentures should be removed every night for cleaning. Soak them in an approved denture-cleaning liquid or plain water.
– Avoid sugary foods and other snacks that can damage your teeth easily. This includes hard foods that can chip or crack your teeth.
– Floss daily with a dental floss that can survive without tearing apart. Shred resistant dental floss can ensure your dental habits can be done effectively. If you struggle when flossing, consider switching to another interdental cleaner such as a water flosser.
– If you feel any changes occurring in your mouth, contact Witty Family and Cosmetic Dentistry for an oral examination. Also, remember to always attend your bi-annual professional cleanings.
– Bad habits have worse effects for older individuals. Avoid habits such as smoking, drinking heavily, chewing tobacco, heavy drug use, and poor diet.
– Never stop brushing your teeth. This includes brushing twice daily. If you are beginning to struggle when brushing, due to arthritis or other bone or muscle conditions, consider switching to an electric toothbrush.
If you would like to schedule an oral examination or professional cleaning, simply call our dentist office in Nicholasville, Kentucky, at our number 859-881-4633. Dr. Casey Witty and our entire team look forward to making helping make your smile great!