Can teeth be kept safe from dental erosion? Dental erosion, also known as enamel erosion, occurs when acids eat away at the precious tooth enamel guarding our teeth. Tooth enamel, the thin layer on our teeth, can be damaged in a variety of ways, but it is typically harmful acids that break through the easiest and make a tooth prone to infection and tooth loss. Listed below are a few samples and risks of hazards that can put you in jeopardy of dental erosion:
– Food and drinks with low pH levels set you at the highest risk for dental erosion.
– Harmful acids are the main cause of dental erosion and can originate in acidic foods such as citrus fruits and fruit drinks, as well as highly sugary foods, as sugar can be converted to acid by bacteria in your mouth.
– Acid reflux and heartburn can make you liable for dental erosion.
– Sour sweets are highly acidic and can be exceedingly corrosive to tooth enamel.
– Avoid eating chewy or sticky foods as well as snacks between meals, because the longer food sits on your teeth and gums, the higher the chance of dental erosion.
If you are looking to improve your smile with a dental procedure at Witty Family and Cosmetic Dentistry, you are welcome to schedule an appointment with Dr. Casey Witty and our team in Nicholasville, Kentucky. We can be reached at 859-881-4633. Tooth decay can be conquered, so feel free to come see us today!